Monday, August 3, 2009

A change would do you good.

Recently I've become intrigued by the idea of change. As I realize this is a trite subject, I must explain that my notions of the word have a deeper meaning: affecting the methods by which individuals lead their lives. I mentioned the Appalachian Staple Foods Collaborative in my last post and their provisions for creating a more successful agricultural sector of the community. This is more of a material change as it is accomodating the need for tools and knowledge, but what has truly stolen my interest is the idea of personal change. An organization that has struck a chord with me is the Athens Photographic Project, an organization that teaches those recovering from mental illness to express themselves through photography.

For those suffering from mental illness, it is difficult to feel like they are a part of the outside world. Nate Thomson, project director of APP, discussed this topic with my fellow intern and me at a recent interview at Appalachian Behavioral Healthcare located near O'Bleness Hospital. He offered that those afflicted are sometimes unable to experience what life has to offer because they brand themselves with the illness instead of with their personal characteristics. His organization's projects provide an outlet for these individuals, and in turn allows them to develop on a more personal level than any amount of medication could. One of the participants, Beth Klaus, mentioned that she appreciates the control photography gives her of the world around her, and this is just an example of the tools APP gives to its constituents to overcome the obstacles associated with their illnesses.

After learning more about APP's efforts through my time spent with Thomson and Klaus and considering my own life experiences, it is important to remember how difficult it is to initiate a change, let alone one that affects state of mind. Projects such as this one alleviate this stressor by providing the means to not only embark upon this journey but to maintain the advancements made along the way. I stand by my call for more assistance like this. It is our job as upcoming leaders to contribute to this effort and, in turn, to begin a revolution of in the philanthropic world in which people help people to better their own lives.




*In my last post, readers may have come under the impression that I do not appreciate food donations and the like. I would like to express that I truly believe we have a need for services such as this and did not intend to undermine this effort in the slightest.

No comments:

Post a Comment